Ivano-Frankivsk (Ivano-Frankovsk) oblast is situated in the southwest of Ukraine, on the border of two natural geographical areas: the East-European Plain and the Ukrainian Carpathian.
The region borders on Republic of Romania. Ivano-Frankivsk is the capital city.
Population (2013) - 1,382,000 (3.03%, 12th place).
Land area - 13,928 sq. km. (2.3%, 22nd place).
Ivano-Frankivsk region has a favorable geographical position. It is an important junction of railways located near other European countries.
The oblast is rich in recreational resources (about 100 sources of mineral waters), forests (45% of the territory), mineral resources (oil, natural gas, brown coal).
Local climatic conditions are favorable for agriculture. The climate is temperate continental. On the flat part of the region, winters are mild (the average temperature in January ranges from -4 to -5,5 degrees C), and summers are warm (18-19 degrees C in July).
In the Carpathians, the climate is more severe and humid; the average January temperature ranges from -6 to -9 degrees C, July - from 17 to 6 degrees C.
The region is rich in natural reserves and parks: “Gorgany” natural reserve (5.3 thousand hectares); Carpathian, Galitsky and “Huzulschyna” natural parks (97.5 thousand hectares or about 50% of all protected natural areas in the region); Dniester and Polyanitsky regional landscape parks (38.4 thousand hectares), etc.
The province has 14 districts, 15 towns and 765 villages.
The remarkable nature of Ivano-Frankivsk region, rich natural relief, good climate, pure mountain air, inexhaustible sources of medicinal mineral waters create favorable conditions for development of
sanatorium and resort treatment and tourism.
In the oblast, there are five resort areas and eleven health centers. Climatic treatment, mineral baths are used for recreational therapy.
Also, Ivano-Frankivsk region has the most developed ski resort in Ukraine - Bukovel.
Vygodskaya railway (“Carpathian tram”) is used for tourism.
History of Ivano-Frankivsk
It was founded in 1662 as the town of Stanislawow. After the first partition of Poland (1772), the town was held by Austria till 1919. It occupied an important position on the northern approach to the Yablonitsa Pass over the Carpathians. From 1919 till 1939, the city was a part of Poland. In 1939, together with all the western Ukraine, it became the part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. In 1945, it was ceded to the Soviet Union and named Stanislav. In 1962, the city turned 300 years old. It was renamed and since that time it bears the name of Ukrainian writer Ivan Franko who often visited the town, wrote and read his works there. In the early 1990s, Ivano-Frankivsk was one of the centers of Ukrainian independence movement.